Cochin - Munnar - Thekkady - Kumarakom - Alleppey - Cochin
Kerala, with its captivating blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and unique experiences, offers a truly unforgettable journey. This itinerary has been thoughtfully designed to encompass the highlights of Kerala. Starting in Cochin, you'll delve into its rich history and marvel at its architectural wonders. The enchanting tea gardens of Munnar will leave you mesmerized, offering a chance to learn about the tea-making process. The vibrant culture of Thekkady, showcased through the Kalaripayattu Martial Arts show, will captivate you. A boat safari in Lake Periyar will allow you to immerse yourself in the serene beauty of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Cruising through the backwaters of Alleppey in a houseboat will provide an authentic experience of local life. Finally, a visit to the spice market in Cochin and a mesmerizing Kathakali dance performance will complete your journey, leaving you with cherished memories of Kerala's natural wonders, rich heritage, and unique flavors.
- Cochin (also known as Kochi): This is where your tour begins and ends. Cochin is a port city with a rich history and a blend of Portuguese, Dutch, and British colonial architecture.
- Munnar: After Cochin, you will drive to Munnar, a beautiful hill station known for its tea gardens and scenic landscapes.
- Thekkady: From Munnar, you will proceed to Thekkady, where you can experience the vibrant culture of Kerala and witness the enthralling Kalaripayattu Martial Arts show.
- Kumarakom: After a boat safari at Lake Periyar, you will travel to Kumarakom, a tranquil backwater destination known for its picturesque beauty.
- Alleppey: From Kumarakom, you will head to Alleppey, also known as the Venice of the East, for a unique houseboat experience and a leisurely cruise through the backwaters of Kerala.
Day 01: Arrive Cochin
Day 02: Morning City tour & drive to Munnar
Day 03: Munnar
Day 04: Munnar - Thekkady
Day 05: Thekkady - Kumarakom
Day 06: Kumarakom - Alleppey
Day 07: Alleppey - Cochin
Day 08: Cochin / Departure
Itinerary in detail
Day 1: Arrive in Cochin
Upon your arrival at Cochin International Airport, the gateway to Kerala, you will be greeted by our tour representative who will assist you with your transfer to your hotel. Cochin, also known as Kochi, is a port city that serves as the commercial capital of Kerala. The city has a rich history and is renowned for its blend of Portuguese, Dutch, and British colonial architecture. The rest of the day is free for you to relax at the hotel and acclimate yourself to the different time zone after a long flight.
The rest of the day is free for you to explore on your own or check out the nearby market. Spend the night at the hotel.
Day 2: Cochin to Munnar, via Chottanikkara Bhagavathy Temple
Start your day with a comprehensive city tour of Cochin to explore its rich history and cultural heritage. Visit the iconic Chinese Fishing Nets, an emblematic symbol of Cochin's coastal charm. Continue your tour to Fort Kochi, where you can witness the amalgamation of Portuguese, Dutch, and British influences. Explore St. Francis Church, the oldest European church in India, and the Santa Cruz Basilica, known for its architectural splendor. Next, visit the Mattancherry Palace, also known as the Dutch Palace, which showcases a remarkable collection of murals and artifacts depicting the region's history. Adjacent to the palace, wander through the narrow lanes of Jew Town and visit the Jewish Synagogue, a testament to the city's multicultural fabric.
After the city tour, commence your scenic drive from Cochin to Munnar. En route, make a stop at the revered Chottanikkara Bhagavathy Temple, known for its divine atmosphere and spiritual significance. Seek blessings and soak in the tranquil ambiance before continuing your journey to Munnar. Upon arrival in Munnar, settle into your accommodation and unwind amidst the picturesque landscapes and refreshing mountain air. Rest and prepare for an exciting day of exploring Munnar's natural beauty on Day 3.
Day 3: Explore Munnar
Munnar is a hill station located in the Western Ghats mountain range in Kerala. After a relaxing breakfast at your hotel, you will head out to explore the tea gardens.
The tea gardens in Munnar are a major attraction and are spread over vast areas. As you walk through the tea plantations, you will witness the beautiful greenery of the rolling hills and valleys that surround you. You will also have the opportunity to learn about the process of tea making, from the plucking of the tea leaves to the packaging of the final product. You can visit the tea museum in Munnar to learn about the history of tea production in the region and the evolution of the tea industry in India. The museum showcases various artifacts and equipment used in tea production and processing, and you can even taste some of the different types of tea available.
In addition to the tea plantations, Munnar also offers several other attractions such as the Mattupetty Dam, Eravikulam National Park, and Anamudi Peak. You can choose to explore these places on your own or with the assistance of a guide. Overall, Munnar is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the serene beauty of nature and learn about the history and culture of tea production in India.
Spend your evening at leisure, relaxing and enjoying the serene atmosphere of the tea gardens in Munnar. Your night stay will be at the hotel, where you can unwind and rejuvenate before continuing your journey the next day.
Day 4: Munnar to Thekkady
After breakfast, check out from your hotel in Munnar and proceed towards Thekkady. En route, enjoy a fascinating spice plantation tour, where you can learn about various spices and their cultivation. Experience the aromas and flavors of spices such as cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves as you explore the lush plantations. Gain insight into the traditional methods of spice cultivation and processing.
Later continue your drive to hotel. In the evening, after checking into your hotel in Thekkady, immerse yourself in the vibrant cultural heritage of Kerala by witnessing the enthralling Kalaripayattu Martial Arts show. Marvel at the skill and agility of the performers as they showcase this ancient martial art form known for its dynamic movements, impressive weaponry, and disciplined training. Experience the energy and intensity of Kalaripayattu as you delve into the rich traditions of Kerala.
Day 5: Boat safari at Lake Periyar & drive to Kumarakom
Start your day with an early morning boat ride in Periyar Lake, located in the heart of the scenic Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Spot wildlife and enjoy the serene surroundings. After the boat ride, proceed to Kumarakom, a tranquil backwater destination known for its picturesque beauty and relaxing ambiance. The distance between Thekkady and Kumarakom is approximately 125 kilometers, and the travel time is approximately 3-4 hours.
Day 6: Alleppey/Backwater Houseboat
After breakfast, you will travel to Alleppey, also known as the Venice of the East, for a unique houseboat experience. This journey will take approximately 5 hours. Upon arrival, you will check into your houseboat and embark on a leisurely cruise through the backwaters of Kerala. As you cruise along the tranquil backwaters, you will observe the daily life of the local people living in the villages along the waterways. You will also have the opportunity to try traditional Kerala cuisine prepared on board by your personal chef.
Day 7: Alleppey to Cochin
Bid farewell to the backwaters and return to Cochin. Spend the day exploring the spice market in Cochin, which is known for its variety of spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. You can buy some fresh spices to take home or just enjoy the aroma and colors of the market.
In the evening, witness a Kathakali dance performance, which is a traditional dance form originating from Kerala. The dance is known for its elaborate costumes, makeup, and facial expressions, and the performance is a unique and memorable experience that you won't want to miss. After the performance, our driver will drop you back to your hotel for a comfortable overnight stay.
Day 8: Cochin / Departure
After enjoying a delicious breakfast at your hotel, the rest of the day is free for you to explore the local markets in Cochin at your own pace. Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere as you wander through the bustling streets, discovering unique handicrafts, traditional items, spices, and more. Take the opportunity to purchase souvenirs and mementos to commemorate your journey through India.
In the evening, our driver will pick you up from the hotel lobby and accompany you to the Cochin International Airport. Sit back and relax during the comfortable drive, reflecting on the happy memories and incredible experiences you have gathered during your time in our incredible nation. Depart with a sense of fulfillment and gratitude, carrying the warmth of Indian hospitality and the cherished moments of your journey back home.
Please ensure that you are ready in the hotel lobby at the designated time for a smooth departure to the airport, taking into account your flight schedule.
Cost does not include:
- 06 Nights air-conditioned accommodation on Double / Twin share rooms at proposed hotels.
- +01 Night stay at Premium backwater houseboat, Alleppey.
- Daily breakfast while staying at the hotel as per detail itinerary.
- All meals (Lunch + Dinner + Breakfast) while staying at the houseboat.
- Meeting and assistance services on arrival / departure.
- Air – conditioned chauffeur driven vehicle as per number of persons mentioned above for city sightseeing, tour, excursion etc. as per above program.
- Visit to a Tea Plantation & Tea Museum, Munnar.
- Spice Plantation tour, Thekkady.
- Kalaripayattu (Indian Martial art) show at Thekkady.
- Morning boat safari at Periyar National Park.
- Backwater houseboat cruise in Alleppey.
- Traditional Kathakali Dance show in Cochin.
- English speaking local guides during the city tour of Cochin and Munnar as per detail itinerary.
- All parking, road taxes, government taxes and driver allowances.
- Tour assistance throughout the tour.
- All presently applicable Government taxes.
Cost does not include:
- Any international and domestic airfare if it is not mention in cost inclusion.
- Transport during free days / any optional tour / Monument & Camera Fees at the monuments.
- Personal nature Expenses i.e. Telephone calls, Laundry, soft / hard drinks, lunch, tipping etc.
- Any Porterage services at Airport/Railway Station.
- Any other expenses not mentioned in the cost includes.
- Kathakali Dance Workshop: In addition to watching a Kathakali dance performance, you can enhance your experience by participating in a Kathakali dance workshop. Learn some basic steps, hand gestures, and facial expressions from a trained artist, and get a deeper understanding of this traditional art form.
- Ayurvedic Spa and Massage: Kerala is renowned for its Ayurvedic treatments and therapies. Take some time to pamper yourself with a relaxing Ayurvedic spa session or rejuvenating massage. Experience the healing benefits of ancient Ayurvedic techniques and let your body and mind unwind.
- Bamboo Rafting in Thekkady: If you are an adventure enthusiast, you can add a bamboo rafting experience to your itinerary. Navigate through the calm waters of Periyar Lake on a bamboo raft and witness the stunning scenery of the surrounding forests and wildlife.
- Village Tour: Immerse yourself in the local culture and traditions by taking a village tour. Visit nearby villages and interact with the villagers to get a glimpse of their daily lives. Learn about their customs, farming practices, and traditional arts and crafts.
- Sunset Cruise in Alleppey: Enhance your backwater experience by going on a sunset cruise in Alleppey. Sail along the serene backwaters while witnessing the captivating sunset views. Enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings and create beautiful memories.